Press Releases '09
- LOCAL RADIO STATION SNAGS MOO-MOO CLASSIC CROWN
- Sports Radio 1450/AM held off eight other five-person teams to win the 2009 Moo-Moo Classic, the Illinois State Fair's annual celebrity cow-milking competition.
- CELEBRITY DEMOLITION DERBY TO BE HELD SATURDAY AT 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR
- Several local celebrities, including Fair Manager Amy Bliefnick, are scheduled to participate in the demolition derby.
- ILLINOIS FOOD VENDORS FEATURED AT DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE TENT
- Continuing a tradition of featuring Illinois food vendors in its tent, The Illinois Department of Agriculture has lined up 25 different vendors to discuss their products and hand out free samples at the Department of Agriculture Tent, near the Gate 2/Heartland area.
- HARNESS RACING POSTPONED DUE TO WEATHER
Races will start at noon, weather permitting
- GOVERNOR'S SALE OF CHAMPIONS BREAKS THREE RECORDS
State Fair champion poultry, rabbits and goat fetch record prices for their Junior Show exhibitors
Governor Pat Quinn presided over a successful Sale of Champions Tuesday evening, as the annual auction of prize-winning Illinois State Fair livestock broke three records.
- GOVERNOR QUINN SIGNS LEGISLATION TO INCREASE DEMAND FOR ILLINOIS-GROWN FOOD
New Law Will Put More Locally-Grown Food on Illinois Tables;
Creates Council to Help Build Active Local Market for Illinois Food
- The fact that an estimated 96 percent of the fruits, vegetables, and meats that Illinoisans eat are produced in other states or countries is an astonishing imbalance and presents us with an enormous opportunity.
- WASTE MANAGEMENT ALONG WITH THE ILLINOIS STATE FAIR, IDNR AND IEPA UNVEILS SOLAR POWERED TRASH COMPACTOR ON THE ILLINOIS STATE FAIRGROUNDS
New green trash bin saves money and turns public spaces into clean eco-friendly zones
- The new green bin, which compacts garbage using power generated from built-in solar panels, can hold five times the amount of garbage as a traditional bin, reducing, costs, vehicle trips, fuel usage and truck emissions associated with frequent trash collection.
- WEATHER CANCELLATIONS FOR MONDAY, AUG. 17
Harness Racing has been postponed until Tuesday, August 18 at 2pm
Truck and Tractor Pulls have been cancelled
- Tickets for the Tractor Pull will be fully refunded, but cannot be refunded at the Grandstand office ticket window.
- TWO RURAL ELGIN MEN BRING COMMITMENT AND GLADIOLUS' TO FLORICULTURE EXHIBIT AT THE 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR
- For some fairgoers, like H. Edward Frederick and Larry Shultz, the Illinois State Fair is a time-honored tradition that requires months of preparation combined with the gift of a green thumb.
- PAST WINNERS REPEAT AS CHAMPIONS OF ILLINOIS STATE FAIR HOG AND HUSBAND CALLING CONTESTS
- As a light rain fell on the Illinois State Fairgrounds, fairgoers gathered under the cover of the Lincoln Stage to watch two annual favorites, the Hog and Husband Calling Contests. The competition was steep this year, with several entries in each category.
- ILLINOIS STATE FAIR JUNIOR BARROW SHOW SELECTS CHAMPIONS
Winners will take part in Governor's Sale of Champions on Tuesday at 5p.m.
- As Codee Schlipf's Crossbred barrow took first place at the 2009 Illinois State Fair Junior Barrow Show, the entire swine barn erupted in cheers.
- LIVINGSTON COUNTY TEEN SHOWS GRAND CHAMPION JUNIOR STEER AT 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR
Addie Girard will take part in Sale of Champions on Tuesday at 5p.m.
- Seats were almost impossible to find in the Junior Livestock Show Ring as the drive for Junior Grand Champion Steer took place Saturday afternoon.
- 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR CROWNS CHAMPION GOAT AND SHEEP
Winners will take part in Governor's Sale of Champions on Tuesday at 5p.m.
- Chris Curry, the 17-year-old son of Mike and Patty Curry of Dawson, walked away knowing his 76-pound goat will be sold in the Governor's Sale of Champions on Tuesday evening.
- 2009 ILLINOIS STATE BEEKEEPERS BRING HONEY ICE CREAM TO THE 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR
- The Illinois State Beekeepers Association is serving honey ice cream made of honey from Illinois beehives, created at Whitey's Ice Cream in Moline and, according to the association, available exclusively at the Illinois State Fair.
- 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR CROWNS POULTRY CHAMPION
Winner will take part in the Governor's Sale of Champions on Tuesday at 5p.m.
- Peter Elliot, an 18 year-old 4Her from Monmouth, came away with a silver platter and purple ribbon for his Roaster Cornish Cross trio.
- 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR CROWNS FIRST CHAMPION
Winner of Junior Rabbit Show will take part in the Governor's Sale of Champions on Tuesday at new time - 5p.m.
- Lexy Schafer, the 16 year-old daughter of Lori and Wayne Schafer of Brighton, Ill., came away with a purple ribbon for her trio of California rabbits.
- IDOA TO RECOGNIZE AVID ILLINOIS HARNESS RACING FAN
- Longtime Illinois harness racing fan Ralph J. Gauwitz, Jr. of Peoria will be honored on Tuesday, Aug. 18, at the Illinois State Fair.
- TRANSPORTATION OFFICIALS ALERT PUBLIC TO TRAFFIC CHANGES AS ILLINOIS STATE FAIR NEARS
- The traffic pattern around the Illinois State Fairgrounds will be changed to a counterclockwise one-way pattern for the 2009 Illinois State Fair to be held from Friday, August 14th to Sunday, August 23rd.
- GRANDSTAND TICKET PROMOTION OFFERS FAIRGOERS AN "ALL-AMERICAN VALUE" ON 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR CONCERTS
- The Illinois State Fair has a deal for those who haven't yet purchased 2009 Illinois State Fair Grandstand concert tickets.
- SEVEN ILLINOIS GUARD SOLDIERS WILL SERVE AS GRAND MARSHAL OF THE 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR TWILIGHT PARADE
- We wanted to choose a Grand Marshal that encapsulates the American Spirit, and who better than American Soldiers.
- ILLINOIS STATE FAIR GRANDSTAND TO FEATURE PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING
- The Intergalactic Wrestling Federation will fill the Grandstand with punches, dropkicks and suplexes Sunday, Aug. 23 at 5 p.m.
- LAST CHANCE TO ENTER THE 2009 DOG AND BABY PHOTO CONTESTS
- Photo applications either must be postmarked or delivered to the Emmerson Building by Aug.1.
- TWILIGHT PARADE ENTRY DEADLINE APPROACHING
Application Deadline is Friday, July 24th
- The Twilight Parade takes place on Preview Day, Thursday, Aug. 13. The parade will begin at 6pm at the corner of 9th Street and North Grand and end inside the Illinois State Fairgrounds. Participants are required to incorporate the 2009 Illinois State Fair theme, "An All-American Fair," into their entry.
- ELEVEN INDIVIDUALS NAMED AS ILLNIOISAN OF THE DAY FOR THE 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR
- Each winner is being honored for making a difference in their community, displaying a true Illinois spirit through their hard work and dedication to helping others, and for making the state of Illinois a great place to live!
- ALEX AND NAT WOLFF CONCERT CANCELED FOR AUGUST 23 AT ILLINOIS STATE FAIR
- Tickets for the concert will be fully refunded, but cannot be refunded at the Grandstand office ticket window.
- LAST CHANCE TO PURCHASE AN ILLINOIS STATE FAIR MEGA PASS FOR DISCOUNTED PRICE
- The final day the mega pass will be sold for $50 is Saturday, July 11. After that, the price will increase to $60.
- 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR GRANDSTAND BOX OFFICE TO OPEN
- The Grandstand box office opens June 6 with special Saturday hours from 9 a.m. to noon. Regular business hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The box office will reopen on Saturdays starting July 18.
- ENTRY DEADLINE FOR BLUE RIBBON CULINARY CONTEST EXTENTED TO JUNE 16, 2009
- Attention: amateur chefs! The Illinois State Fairs Blue Ribbon Culinary Contest is looking for tasty recipes to judge. Those who submit the best entries will be invited to prepare their dish during the fair at a cook-off to determine the grand champion in seven categories.
- 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR GRANDSTAND ENTERTAINMENT LINEUP ANNOUNCED
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kelly Clarkson, Heart, Bangles, Montgomery Gentry, and Josh Turner among scheduled performers
- Every year, we aim to bring the best entertainment possible to Central Illinois, and I believe crowds of all ages will be thrilled with this year's performers.
- IT'S TIME TO PREPARE ENTRIES FOR THE 2009 ILLINOIS STATE FAIR
Premium books that explain the rules and deadlines for thousands of fair contests are now available on the internet
- Five books have been published, one each for the Livestock and Junior Livestock contests, the Western Horse Show, the Society Horse Show and General fair competitions.
- MISS SANGAMON COUNTY CROWNED 2009 MISS ILLINOIS COUNTY FAIR
Morgan Metz will reign over 2009 Illinois and DuQuoin State Fairs
- Illinois Department of Agriculture Director Tom Jennings and Molly Reeves, the 2008 Miss Georgetown Fair and Miss Illinois County Fair, crowned Morgan Metz, Miss Sangamon County, the 2009 Miss Illinois County Fair Queen Sunday evening.
- ILLINOIS ASSOCIATION OF AGRICULTURAL FAIRS ANNUAL MEETING JANUARY 16-18
- Attending the trade show will let you see, taste and hear what the newest trends for fair experiences will be. It offers fair board members a one stop opportunity to make their final plans and purchases from entertainment, equipment or service vendors, down to purchasing trophies and ribbons.